Man sentenced in Wales after admitting poisoning neighbours’ cats Wales

A man has received a suspended sentence after admitting to poisoning his neighbors’ cats. Tristian Paul Pearson was given an eight-month sentence suspended for 18 months for targeting the family pets Luna and Bailey and luring them into consuming the toxic substance ethylene glycol. Luna and Bailey died shortly after the poisonings took place in … Read more

‘Dropping dead out of trees’: over 100 corellas in apparent mass poisoning in northern Victoria | Birds

The Victorian wildlife watchdog is investigating the deaths of more than 100 long-billed corellas which were found near the Murray River. The birds were discovered by wildlife carer Kirsty Ramadan, who was called to Barmah, near the Victorian / New South Wales border, by the Yorta Yorta center, to capture a sick long-billed corella on … Read more

Abandoned fishing gear is killing marine life and poisoning our oceans | Letters

One critical factor not mentioned in Emma Bryce’s excellent piece on wasted fish harvests (Millions of tonnes of dead animals: the growing scandal of fish waste, May 9) is the threat of abandoned, lost or discarded fishing gear, also known as ghost gear. A single abandoned net is estimated to kill an average of 500,000 … Read more

VPIS celebrates 30 years of service

The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS) celebrated its 30th birthday in April. Originally part of Guy’s Poisons Unit, the VPIS became a separate entity in 1992 and is a membership-only service for veterinary practices. Experienced team The role of the VPIS, as the UK’s only animal poison center, is to ensure all animals receive the … Read more

Couple Spreads The Word About This Accidental Poisoning After Tragically Losing Their Two Dogs

A Utah family wants pet owners to be aware of a winter hazard far more deadly than frostbite. Katrina Burrell and her husband said goodbye to their 2 dogs Monday morning after they were diagnosed with Ethylene glycol poisoning. The chemical is most commonly found in antifreeze and has a naturally sweet taste that attracts … Read more

Gastric lavage: more harm than good?

We all know that sinking feeling when a patient has been known to have ingested highly toxic material and all effort to induce emesis had been unsuccessful. So, the next logical step is to perform a gastric lavage, isn’t it? Lavaging the stomach: a bilumen tube is passed into the stomach, warm water is pumped … Read more